Congleton Rovers JFC

Congleton Rovers JFC
Last update: Wednesday 16th October 2019 @ 20:19
Visitors this week: 1966
BBC Weather

Team Sections

Results Board

  • Sun 13th Oct
  • U16 won 9-0 vs Holmes Chapel Red
  • U21s lost 2-4 vs Egerton
  • U13W won 8-1 vs Holmes Chapel
  • U13B lost 2-4 vs Frodsham JFC
  • U15s won 5-2 vs Ruskin Park
  • U18s won 9-3 vs Grapenhall
  • Sat 12th Oct
  • U12Y lost 1-2 vs Hartford Stags
  • U12W lost 0-4 vs Sandbach United
  • U8s vs Sandbach Unitted Harriers
  • U11s vs Holmes Chapel Reds

Find us at...

Team Index


Our Sponsors

Team Officials

  • Nick Booth (Manager)

  • M:07722501123 send an email to Nick
  • Gareth Evans (Assistant)

  • M:07795150519 send an email to Gareth
  • Rob Negus (Assistant)

click to enlarge


Rovers 'v' Middlewich - 27/01/19

(Mark Arneil 28/01/2019)
This week Rovers headed to Middlewich where the conditions weren't the best to say the least.
It was Middlewich who started the brightest, playing with the wind in their favour.
F. Evans in the Rovers goal showed some safe hands on more than one occasion to hold on to crosses into his six yard box.
With a slight mix up and hesitation in the Rovers defence, F.Evans again was called in to action with an outstanding save to push the ball around the post.
F. Evans then found himself really unlucky, when he did superbly well to get all of his body behind a ferociously stuck free kick only to see a Middlewich attacker was on hand to make it 1-0.
Rovers soon made there first opening with a delightful ball from Statham to play in Negus who could only drag his shot wide. It was soon 1-1 though. After numerous excellent balls down the line from Braisby, one paid off. Negus outmuscled and out skilled two defenders before finding Statham, whose cross could only be headed in to his own net by the Middlewich defender.
Rovers were soon on the back foot again and a cross from the right found an unmarked striker who blazed over the bar.
Rovers were digging deep to prevent them falling behind again and this time Middlewich hit the post and J. Evans did superbly well to clear off the line.
Rovers had a chance to take the lead after Negus was fouled about 25 yards out, but Braisby's free kick went just over the bar.
With half time looming Rovers looked like they were heading in to the break level, but a corner right at the end of the half saw a header fly past F. Evans to give Middlewich a 2-1 advantage at the break.

Four changes at half time saw F.Evans replaced by Sharp, Braisby replaced by Walton, Simpson replaced by Moreno and Edwards replaced by Riley.
Rovers were by no means out of this and felt confident they could turn things round in the second half. The wind was now to Rovers advantage and soon enough it helped Rovers when Negus whipped in a high cross from the right, the wind gripped the ball sending it against the inside of the post, rebounding against the keeper and in the net. 2-2.
Rovers were now in control and we started to see their dominance right across the pitch. One of Riley's run's down the right saw him bearing down on goal only to find the side netting.
Rovers were turning the screw now, with Johnston an absolute rock at the back. They soon found themselves in front for the first time when Riley again outpaced the defence down the right before pulling the ball back for Statham who expertly fired home with his left foot into the bottom corner. 3-2 to Rovers.
Rovers were started to move through the gears and good link up play between Reardon and Wedgbury saw the latter force a good save from the Middlewich keeper.
The first meaningful Middlewich attack of the half saw a free kick given and the resulting shot was high enough to level the scores once again. 3-3.
This was a really entertaining game with both teams needing to points for different reasons.
Wedgbury was next to try and add to the score line but fired wide after being put through by Riley.
At the other end Sharp prevented the pendulum swinging again with a fine save.
Wedgbury again found himself with an opening only to be halted with a good save.
Middlewich looked certain to score when the ball beat Sharp but brilliant determination and tracking from Johnston somehow stopped the Middlewich striker from scoring what looked like a certain goal.
Rovers the had the chance to retake the lead when Wedgbury was judged to have been fouled and the referee pointed to the spot.
Wedgbury himself stepped up and powered his strike past the keeper to put Rovers 4-3 up.
Middlewich went in search for an equaliser and when the attacker rounded Sharp the equaliser looked likely, but Hopkins was on hand to sweep away the danger with his last involvement of the morning as he was replaced by Braisby.
The solid Rovers defence with the ever determined J.Evans in front of it was not to be passed again. Walton and Moreno were calm in possession and the power and pace of Riley from midfield meant Middlewich were now being pushed backwards.
It wasn't long before an excellent ball from Johnston gave Wedgbury the opportunity to take on the last defender, which he did and then smashed the ball past the outrushing keeper. 5-3 to Rovers.
Negus and Statham played an excellent one-two, before Negus played through Riley. Riley left the defenders in his wake, before crossing for Reardon who timed his run perfectly to fire home at the back post. 6-3 to Rovers.
Riley who had certainly made a difference since being introduced at half time, then got the final goal of the game. Picking the ball up on the right, after a nice pass from Simpson, he dribbled across the outside of the 18 yard box, before calmly curling a low shot into the far corner. 7-3 to Rovers.

Roy of the Rovers - Freddie Wedgbury