Congleton Rovers JFC

Congleton Rovers JFC
Last update: Wednesday 16th October 2019 @ 20:19
Visitors this week: 1967
BBC Weather

Team Sections

Results Board

  • Sun 13th Oct
  • U16 won 9-0 vs Holmes Chapel Red
  • U21s lost 2-4 vs Egerton
  • U13W won 8-1 vs Holmes Chapel
  • U13B lost 2-4 vs Frodsham JFC
  • U15s won 5-2 vs Ruskin Park
  • U18s won 9-3 vs Grapenhall
  • Sat 12th Oct
  • U12Y lost 1-2 vs Hartford Stags
  • U12W lost 0-4 vs Sandbach United
  • U8s vs Sandbach Unitted Harriers
  • U11s vs Holmes Chapel Reds

Find us at...

Team Index


Our Sponsors

Team Officials

  • Nick Booth (Manager)

  • M:07722501123 send an email to Nick
  • Gareth Evans (Assistant)

  • M:07795150519 send an email to Gareth
  • Rob Negus (Assistant)

click to enlarge


Rovers 'v' Appleton FC - 13th January 2019

(Mark Arneil 16/01/2019)
It was a return to cup action this week, with Rovers entertaining Appleton in the quarter-final of the Cheshire cup on the 3G. The home side would have to be at their best to stand a chance of progressing. Straight from kick off Riley played a superb 40 yard ball to Negus down the right who only just found the side netting from a tight angle. Rovers were up for it and settled quickly. Captain Braisby used his strength to thwart an Appleton attack and sent an excellent ball over the top to Negus who cut in and did well to force the away keeper into action.
Rovers were going to have to improve on their defending from the previous week, and that they did. Some brilliant defending from Hopkins set the tone, with Johnston following suit. Rovers continued to threaten and a lovely flick from Riley put Negus through who was unlucky not to find the net. Riley then wriggled his way into the box and following a good defensive challenge the centre forward appeared to be kicked but no penalty was given. Rovers continued to press and soon got their reward. A superb Negus corner found Riley running in from deep to produce an unstoppable header with such power that the keeper just couldn’t stop. A deserved lead.
With the assured F.Evans in goal the back four continued their superb defending. In midfield the tough tackling J.Evans was helping to protect them, with Statham and Wedgbury looking to get on the ball and work hard. Reardon was a threat down the left while also working back to help Moreno, who was defending well. Pressure and alertness from Negus forced a mistake and almost brought a second. Rovers were playing some good football and Appleton were getting frustrated. Some late challenges eventually led to some free kicks, which broke play up. As half time approached the home side were unlucky to be only one goal to the good, but Appleton kept in it and drew level. An excellent first half nonetheless for the home side.
F.Evans and Moreno made way and their replacements were soon involved, with Simpson making some strong challenges and Sharpe tipping a long range shot round the post. Appleton started well and it was becoming a classic cup clash. The visitors forced a corner and from a knockdown they took the lead. Appleton were looking threatening and Sharpe kept out a free kick. Rovers were not going to give up without a fight though. They stuck at it and Statham was brought down. From the resulting free kick an away player in the wall handled, giving Riley another chance from the edge of the box. Riley brilliantly smashed the ball into the top corner to make it 2-2.
Edwards came on for Reardon while Riley moved into midfield to try and help gain control, Wedgbury moving into the striker role. The game became a tight battle and every player gave everything. The defence continued to stay strong, but needed Sharpe to assist them with a superb double save to deny Appleton. As the ball was cleared Rovers went on the counter attack. Wedgbury fed Statham who lofted the ball over the last defender for Negus to race through and calmly slot into the corner. The semi-final was 7 minutes away and Rovers did everything they could to defend their lead. Sharpe saved another free kick. With time seemingly up, the ball went into the box for what should have been the last time as the ball appeared to go for a goal kick. However, a corner was given and a far post scramble ended with a last second equaliser. It was tough on Rovers in a thrilling game of football. Credit to both teams. It was down to the lottery of penalties.
Sharpe saved the first penalty but only Riley managed to covert, as Appleton won the shootout 3-1. It was hard for Rovers to take but they can hold their heads up high and be immensely proud of their efforts. A fantastic performance.
Roy of the Rovers - Ben Braisby