Congleton Rovers JFC

Congleton Rovers JFC
Last update: Wednesday 16th October 2019 @ 20:19
Visitors this week: 1962
BBC Weather

Team Sections

Results Board

  • Sun 13th Oct
  • U16 won 9-0 vs Holmes Chapel Red
  • U21s lost 2-4 vs Egerton
  • U13W won 8-1 vs Holmes Chapel
  • U13B lost 2-4 vs Frodsham JFC
  • U15s won 5-2 vs Ruskin Park
  • U18s won 9-3 vs Grapenhall
  • Sat 12th Oct
  • U12Y lost 1-2 vs Hartford Stags
  • U12W lost 0-4 vs Sandbach United
  • U8s vs Sandbach Unitted Harriers
  • U11s vs Holmes Chapel Reds

Find us at...

Team Index


Our Sponsors

Team Officials

  • Nick Booth (Manager)

  • M:07722501123 send an email to Nick
  • Gareth Evans (Assistant)

  • M:07795150519 send an email to Gareth
  • Rob Negus (Assistant)

click to enlarge


Rovers 'v' Hartford 16/12/18

(Mark Arneil 17/12/2018)
The Rovers management again secured the impressive 3G pitch to ensure the game got the go ahead, This time Hartford were the visitors.
Rovers started the brightest and it was Reardon who created an early chance for Negus who was unlucky to fire wide.
Hartford were more than threatening going forward and Sharp was called into action to save from an unmarked striker.
Hartford again found them themselves with a chance to open the scoring but Sharp did well to narrow down the angle, forcing the shot to go wide.
How Rovers didn't open the scoring was a mystery when Wedgbury supplied Riley in the middle of the goal who uncharacteristically dragged his shot wide.
The opening goal wasn't too far away when a block by Hopkins bounced into the path of the Hartford forward who made it 0-1
Rovers soon found themselves two down when the trademark ball over the top caught out Hopkins and Johnston to allow Hartford to double their lead.
This seemed to give Rovers the kick they needed as they went searching to get back in the game. First Statham forced a save following a Negus corner.
Next Braisby ventured forward to unleash a shot which was deflected over.
The Rovers goal was surely on its way and it looked like Reardon had found it, only to be denied by an absolute wonder save from the Hartford keeper.
A positional shuffle was forced upon Rovers when Negus was caught and forced off. He was replaced by Simpson, who sat in the holding midfield role, allowing Evans to push forward and Wedgbury going out wide.
Rovers eventually got the goal they deserved when a Braisby long throw was flicked on by Riley and Reardon was on hand to make it 1-2.
Rovers were very quickly back on terms when Riley exploded past the Hartford rear guard with a run from half way and showed the composure to confidently slide the ball past the keeper. 2-2.
Rovers looked like the only team scoring from here on in.
Riley should have put Rovers ahead when he was 1 on 1 with the keeper, but couldn't keep his finish down.
Rovers didn't have to wait long before they were in front when Evans found Riley and a really clever and intelligent flick by him was on it's way in before being given a helping hand from the defender.
Riley again almost made it 4-2, but once again the keeper produced something remarkable with an outstanding point blank save.
Soon enough it was 4-2, with some brilliant link up play between Riley, Wedgbury and Evans who smashed the ball home.

Half time 4-2

Two Rovers half time changes saw the normal keeper change between Sharp and F. Evans
Also Braisby went off the be replaced by Walton who really impressed in last week's cup win and was maybe unlucky not to get the nod to start.
Rovers continued to dominate and Riley turned provider and found Wedgbury but some great last ditch defending foiled his chance.
The Hartford keeper once again kept them in the game when Riley danced his way through the defence and got his shot away.
From out of nowhere Hartford cut the lead, but this was missed by the press officer, who was busy sorting out a fruit shoot for his daughter!
Rovers were quick to restore the two goal lead when Reardon released Wedgbury who produced a great finish to chip the Hartford keeper and make make it 5-3.
Another Rovers change and Statham was replaced by Edwards.
Hartford weren't finished in this game just yet as the made it 5-4, although it did look a good 2 yards off side.
Unbelievably Rovers let the lead slip with the defence and midfield giving far to much space away on the edge of the box to allow a shot fly past a helpless F. Evans in goal.
Rovers restored their lead when J. Evans chipped the ball over the defender and fired past the keeper just like Gazza in 96.
A recovered Negus came back on to replace Wedgbury.
Rovers wanted to finish this game off now and Riley made it 7-5 despite a strong hand from the keeper.
Number eight soon followed, Riley saw his shot saved, but Negus was on hand to tap in the rebound.
Moreno who had worked hard at the back was replaced by Braisby.
Rovers went searching for goal nine and good link up between Reardon, Riley and Negus forced another save from the keeper.
A Riley header almost made it nine but for the crossbar, from the rebound Reardon's head did make it 9-5.
With the full time whistle not to far away Rovers had time to make it double figures when an acrobatic cross from Riley found the head of Reardon, who made no mistake!
Full time 10-5.

Roy of the Rovers performance goes to Dan Reardon.